Friday, November 27, 2015

Amalfi Coast

28Nov 2015

Wow, tomorrow, I will be going to Switzerland and Paris with my son, and mother. And this is the first time my 11 year-old boy is travelling to Europe, and he is extremely happy, as he loves the cold weather.

I have been to Switzerland and Paris many times, due to my tour leading job assignments. And I must say the feeling is completely different this time, as we have more time to go around and explore the various places and museums, without having to rush through with time, on a tight schedule on those commercial tours.

And I am doing my research for the next trip to the famous Amalfi Coast, in Italy. And I will add in my research details here on this post, and will come back to update, as I have more details with me. In fact, I was so fascinated by this place ever since I read about this spectacular coastal drive almost 9 years back. I had bought a book from Italy - Amalfi Coast, and there are some write ups and descriptions to the various towns, and communes in this UNESCO Heritage Site.



The most famous towns here -
Positano
Amalfi
Ravello

My plan is to fly into Naples (Napoli in Italian), and then take a train or bus to Salerno, and then travel by bus from the East towards Sorrento, and then proceed back to Naples for the flight back to Rome for my international departure.

Why Travel to Amalfi Coast?


AMALFI COAST

Discover the jewel of the crown -
Sorrentine Peninsula & the spectacular coastal scenery of Amalfi Coast

Sorrento - Salerno (55km)
This coastal drive is unrivalled for its scenic beauty with the rocks, tumbling down right into the sea, and offers splendid views of the ancient towns, and panoramic seascape

The town of Amalfi was the capital of the maritime republic known as the Duchy of Amalfi, an important trading power in the Mediterranean between 839 and around 1200.

Enjoy the Sunny Microclimate here in the Amalfi Coast, for its cool winters

Discover the enviable patrimony of art, history and culture of this region

Experience the Infinite blue of the sky of Campania

The Dates of my travel
31Dec 2015 - 10Jan 2016

Where will I be staying

One night in Naples
One night in Salerno
Two nights in Amalfi
Two nights in Ravello
Two nights in Positano
One night in Mairi

NAPLES 
I have been to Naples a few times, but I like to visit the famous Archaeological Museum here.
And I just discovered that the fireworks is the most beautiful here in Italy on the eve of the New Year.


POSITANO
I was captivated by the lovely setting of the town from the movie - Under The Tuscan Sun. And the beautiful view of the town, with its imposing cathedral with the majestic dome, just continued to haunt me, as seen on the picture of this famous town on the internet.

Being a person, who loves nature, and the seascape, I want to go on the hiking trail - Path of the Gods, which according to my research , is not a difficult trail. The rewards would be the sweeping panorama of the Mediterranean Sea and the towns perching on the cliff.

AMALFI
As far as my research goes, this was once the powerful Amalfi Republic, which was once one of the four major Maritime Republics in the past. The four Maritime Republics are Amalfi, Venice, Pisa and Genoa.

RAVELLO
Ravello is unquestionably the most elegant of the small cities on the Amalfi Coast.

OTHERS
I will try to visit ATRANI, and MAIORI.

TRAVELLING AROUND
There are buses which travels from Sorrento to Salerno, and passing by these towns of Positano, Amalfi, and etc.

FERRIES
Ferries only operate from April to October. So, I will not have a chance to take a ferry to enjoy the views of the town from a different perspective.
Naples - Sorrento
Naples - Capri
Capri - Sorrento (or Naples)
Salerno - Positano / Amalfi

DRINK
Try the lemoncello, which is a famous liquer made from the local lemons which are big, and produced here in the gardens of the Amalfi Coast area.

FOOD
Will update when I get to eat the pizza, macaroni, pastiera cake, and typical dishes of the maritime cuisine includes cold mussel-and-clam salads, Mediterranean fish stews.

GUIDE
I will engage a local guide to show me the way of the Path of the Gods, and  a walking tour in Positano, to understand more of the history of this town.

More Updates and Pictures coming along.

And I will write  a book about Travels in Amalfi Coast after I return.

To get a FREE COPY of the Travel Guide to Bali / Nusa Penida
Please go to my website, and subscribe to our mailing list -
http://www.izest-lifestyle.com

Go to my picture gallery for the albums of my travel - 
http://www.flickr.com
User - olevia.explorer










No comments:

Post a Comment